STUDY TIME: up to 12 months to complete
“I have learned lots of grammatical terms/language that I didn't know existed. The course has helped me understand why certain things should be written in a certain way, which will help when writing and editing.” Publishing Assistant, Swindon, UK
Your command of language speaks volumes about you, with any form of communication, particularly in business. From writing presentations, documents and emails to multi-platform marketing content, a good grasp of grammar is vital for presenting yourself and your organisation professionally, accurately and with credibility.
We don’t often stop to think about the rules that hold our language together. Normally, we don’t need to. But, even native speakers of English don’t always get it right.
Essential Grammar is an online course that takes you from the most basic through to the more complex elements of English grammar.
Intended for speakers of UK English, it is a convenient, fun and flexible way to build the solid foundation you need to communicate accurately and creatively.
A host of practical exercises will help you get to grips with what you have learned, and you can test your knowledge with some quick quizzes.
Who is it for?
- Anyone who wants to perfect their use of UK English grammar to communicate more effectively and professionally
- Editors and proofreaders who want to improve the accuracy of their work
- Those working in communications, marketing or publicity, who want to ensure that their output is accurate and grammatically correct
What will you achieve?
On completing this course you’ll be able to:
- Master the basic principles of punctuation and understand the relationship between grammar and punctuation
- Be able to communicate clearly, effectively and professionally
- Gain credibility with all forms of your communication
- The seven main word classes, and order of phrases and words
- The six verb aspects, and tenses and forms
- How to correctly structure a sentence
- And much more (see ‘What’s included’ below for details of course outline)
What are the key benefits?
- Convenient and flexible – study from home, in your own time, at your own pace
- The support of a personal tutor, an experienced editor, throughout the course
- Opportunity to revisit areas of the course that you wish to consolidate
- Practical exercises to help you get to grips with what you have learned
- Quizzes to test your knowledge
- A reading list to follow-up your studies
- Unit 1: What’s in a name?
- Unit 2: Verbs
- Unit 3: Constructing sentences
- Unit 5: The basic principle of punctuation
Enrol now by choosing your payment method at the top of the page