Self-Study with the Publishing Training Centre
The PTC offers two styles of Self-Study distance learning: Tutor-Guided Courses and e-Learning Modules.
Over the 12 months of study on a Tutor-Guided Course each student has the support of a personal tutor. In the case of Basic Proofreading, Basic Editing, Intermediate Editing and Creative Copywriting, the courses are fully assessed and lead to the award of a certificate of achievement from the Publishing Qualification Board (PQB).
The PQB is a subsidiary of the PTC. PQB/PTC are the publishing industry’s recognised training and certification bodies.
The PTC is listed on the government Professional & Career Development Loan Register. More information can be found here.
Our core programme of e-Learning Modules are concentrated, online courses that focus on specialist topics relevant to an editor's working life. They are designed to build on a foundation of existing skills and experience. Typically access to e-Learning Modules is for six months. In addition, we are developing a programme of “introductory” modules that are intended to make sure everyone new to the world of publishing understands key aspects of the industry.
Upgrade your editing skills with this e-Learning Module focused on the three main systems of including references for cited work.
Basic Proofreading: Editorial Skills One
Five reasons to choose Basic Proofreading
- Learn to proofread in the way that clients want it done, on screen or on paper
- Cover the requirements of the wider business world as well as publishing
- Have the support of a personal tutor at every stage of assessment
- Learn and practise with 36 self-check exercises
- Benefit from the most widely recognised industry qualification
Basic Editing: Editorial Skills Two
- Part one of the copy-editing programme
- Covers the fundamental copy-editing skills.
- Practise under the guidance of experienced editors.
- Learn up-to-date on screen editing methods.
Intermediate Editing: Editorial Skills Three
- Part two of the copy-editing programme
- Covers more complex copy-editing skills.
- Practice under the guidance of experienced editors.
- Work on-screen or on paper.
Grammar at Work
A comprehensive online grammar course that you can work through at your own pace.
Successful Editorial Freelancing
- This course will help you to set up an editorial freelancing business.
- Your tutor will give you individual feedback on your business plan.
Creative Copywriting will give you all the tools you need to have a successful career in copywriting. Through a combination of expert guidance, varied practical activities and tutor-marked assignments, this course will show you how to connect with potential customers, overcome any doubts they might have and ultimately win them over.