Self-Study with the Publishing Training Centre
The PTC offers two styles of Self-Study distance learning: Tutor-Guided Courses and e-Learning Modules.
Over the 12 months of study on a Tutor-Guided Course each student has the support of a personal tutor. In the case of Basic Proofreading, Basic Editing, Intermediate Editing and Creative Copywriting, the courses are fully assessed and lead to the award of a certificate of achievement from the Publishing Qualification Board (PQB).
The PQB is a subsidiary of the PTC. PQB/PTC are the publishing industry’s recognised training and certification bodies.
The PTC is listed on the government Professional & Career Development Loan Register. More information can be found here.
Our core programme of e-Learning Modules are concentrated, online courses that focus on specialist topics relevant to an editor's working life. They are designed to build on a foundation of existing skills and experience. Typically access to e-Learning Modules is for six months. In addition, we are developing a programme of “introductory” modules that are intended to make sure everyone new to the world of publishing understands key aspects of the industry.
Adobe Tools for Editors
Acquire the skills needed to work efficiently with PDFs.
Know how to acquire and protect the content you need to be a succesful publisher.
Expand your copy-editing practice to include fiction.
Editing in Word: Time-savers & Tips
Learn how to edit on-screen in Word with greater efficiency and effectiveness.
Upgrade your editing skills with this e-Learning Module focused on the three main systems of including references for cited work.
Editing Scientific Notation
Adopt the most effective way of editing scientific and techical texts.
Understand the power of editorial and house style for executing effective copy-editing.
SEO for Editors and Writers
Make effective search engine optimisation (SEO) of digital content a fundamental part of the writing/editing process.
Basic Proofreading: Editorial Skills One
Five reasons to choose Basic Proofreading
- Learn to proofread in the way that clients want it done, on screen or on paper
- Cover the requirements of the wider business world as well as publishing
- Have the support of a personal tutor at every stage of assessment
- Learn and practise with 36 self-check exercises
- Benefit from the most widely recognised industry qualification
Basic Editing: Editorial Skills Two
- Part one of the copy-editing programme
- Covers the fundamental copy-editing skills.
- Practise under the guidance of experienced editors.
- Learn up-to-date on screen editing methods.
Intermediate Editing: Editorial Skills Three
- Part two of the copy-editing programme
- Covers more complex copy-editing skills.
- Practice under the guidance of experienced editors.
- Work on-screen or on paper.
Grammar at Work
A comprehensive online grammar course that you can work through at your own pace.
Successful Editorial Freelancing
- This course will help you to set up an editorial freelancing business.
- Your tutor will give you individual feedback on your business plan.
Creative Copywriting will give you all the tools you need to have a successful career in copywriting. Through a combination of expert guidance, varied practical activities and tutor-marked assignments, this course will show you how to connect with potential customers, overcome any doubts they might have and ultimately win them over.