Who is it for?
- Editorial staff looking to build or refresh their skills, or learn from the beginning
- Those who proofread as part of their job and lack formal training
- Anyone wanting to work as a freelance proofreader
- Career-changers seeking a flexible and interesting career
What will you achieve?
On completing this course you’ll be able to:
- Mark up on screen and on paper, and understand the differences between the two
- Mark up on screen in Adobe Reader and Microsoft Word
- Use and understand British Standards Institution symbols
- Make informed decisions when marking up proofs – what to change, what to leave
- Follow the instructions of an editor, and give clear instructions to a typesetter
- Understand the publishing process and where the proofreader fits in
- Cover the requirements of the wider business world, including working with independent (self-publishing) authors and those in the publishing industry
What are the key benefits?
- Convenient and flexible – study from home, in your own time, at your own pace
- The support of a personal tutor at every stage of assessment
- 30 self-check exercises to help you learn and practise
- Receive a completion certificate from PQB, graded with a pass, merit or distinction. It’s the most widely recognised industry qualification!
- Career advice and recommendations for further training
- Entry into the PTC’s Freelance Finder, which can be used by publishers when looking for a qualified proofreader, who is trained to a high standard
- Points towards upgrading your membership of the Chartered Institute of Editors and Proofreaders (CIEP)
Save up to £185 with the Freelance Package
Did you know that if you enrol on Essential Proofreading you will get a free e-learning module (worth £29 to £115), plus a free training manual for Successful Editorial Freelancing (worth £70) to help you plan and develop your new career.
Good grammar is essential for a proofreader. We strongly recommend you also work through Essential Grammar. This normally costs £70 but if booked at the same time as Essential Proofreading the price is reduced to £35.