Who is it for?
- Editorial staff looking to build or refresh their skills, or learn from the beginning
- Those who proofread as part of their job and lack formal training
- Anyone wanting to work as a freelance proofreader
- Career-changers seeking a flexible and interesting career
What will you achieve?
On completing this course you’ll be able to:
- Mark up on screen and on paper, and understand the differences between the two
- Mark up on screen in Adobe Reader and Microsoft Word
- Use and understand British Standards Institution symbols
- Make informed decisions when marking up proofs – what to change, what to leave
- Follow the instructions of an editor, and give clear instructions to a typesetter
- Understand the publishing process and where the proofreader fits in
- Cover the requirements of the wider business world, including working with independent (self-publishing) authors and those in the publishing industry
What are the key benefits?
- Convenient and flexible – study from home, in your own time, at your own pace
- The support of a personal tutor at every stage of assessment
- 30 self-check exercises to help you learn and practise
- Receive a completion certificate from PQB, graded with a pass, merit or distinction. It’s the most widely recognised industry qualification!
- Career advice and recommendations for further training
- Entry into the PTC’s Freelance Finder, which can be used by publishers when looking for a qualified proofreader, who is trained to a high standard
- Points towards upgrading your membership of the Chartered Institute of Editors and Proofreaders (CIEP)
+ Enrol and claim your free e-learning modules
You can choose two e-Learning modules from the selection below:
- A Copy-Editor's Guide to Working With Authors
- Adobe Tools for Editors
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Publishing
Once you have enrolled, email your choices to email@example.com
+ The Publications Qualification Board (PQB)
The PQB is responsible for the development, delivery and assessment of these self-study tutor-guided courses. Detailed and carefully moderated performance evaluation and reporting ensures that trainees and employers can accurately assess levels of knowledge and skill. Qualifications are awarded at pass, merit or distinction.
Save up to £205 with the Freelance Package
Did you know that if you enrol on Essential Proofreading you will get two free e-learning modules (worth between £70 to £115) to help you support your training and develop your new career.
Good grammar is essential for a proofreader. We strongly recommend you also work through Essential Grammar. This normally costs £70 but if booked at the same time as Essential Proofreading the price is reduced to £35.