Some content requires more than just a quick copy-edit.
This course, which combines practical exercises with group discussion, will help you assess and improve such texts efficiently and effectively. Most of the example texts are drawn from non-fiction or educational publishing.
You'll work on your own, in pairs and as a group to analyse the stylistic problems of different types of text, look at a range of solutions and adjust presentation and construction to guarantee effective communication.
The result? New skills and techniques that you can use to tackle future problems.
Who will benefit from this course?
Editorial staff and freelancers who are comfortable with the basic copy-editing process but who want to extend their skills or who need to rewrite text.
Learn how to…
- explain why a piece of writing doesn’t work
- present strategies for improving pieces of writing
- adjust the level and tone of a piece of writing
- apply the techniques learnt to any text to enhance its accessibility and sense.
- Identifying problems and considering solutions
- Assessing message, medium and audience
- When sentence construction breeds confusion
- Adjusting the level of a piece of rewriting
- Clarifying the message of a text
- Maintaining the author's voice
- Pros and cons of bullet points
- Approaches to cutting text
- Editing text written in English as a second language
- Considering jargon and specialist vocabulary
- Final discussion and queries
Our short courses are run at a variety of venues in Central London. Information and directions can be found on our Contact Us page. Please check your Joining Instructions for your specific course venue.
Note that most of our short courses can also be run as In-Company events.
Related BlogsTerms & Conditions
- 21 November 2018
"This course was excellent, I like the content, the teacher's style and the fact that it was very interactive."
ESMO delegate, 2017
"Learning that cutting chunks of text rather than editing throughout can be quicker and keep the author happy was really useful. The section on bullets was also very interesting and not something that has been addressed in other writing courses I have been on."
OUP delegate, 2017
"This course is exactly as described, if you want to understand how to change text without upsetting your author this is the course for you."
Freelance Editorial Consultant delegate, 2017
"The tutor, venue and food were all excellent."
Jolly Learning delegate
"There was just the right amount of theory and practice to make it interesting and interactive."
Discovery London delegate
"Teaching style was very informative and relaxed and the opportunity to discuss topics with industry colleagues was very helpful."
Cambridge University Press delegate