The only self-study course that takes you from beginner to PQB-qualified proofreader in one step. Including the most recent on-screen proofreading techniques, it's ideal for career-changers or those needing formal proofreading skills.
STUDY TIME: at least 50 hours and up to 12 months to complete
“My objective was to gain a recognised qualification in proofreading to pursue a career change. The course was excellent and has given me the confidence to make this feasible.” Audrey, Morpeth, Northumberland, UK
Who is it for?
- Editorial staff looking to build or refresh their skills, or learn from the beginning
- Those who proofread as part of their job and lack formal training
- Anyone wanting to work as a freelance proofreader
What will you achieve?
On completing this course you’ll be able to:
- Mark up on screen and on paper, and understand the differences between the two
- Mark up on screen in Adobe Reader and Microsoft Word
- Use and understand British Standards Institution symbols
- Make informed decisions when marking up proofs – what to change, what to leave
What are the key benefits?
- Convenient and flexible – study from home, in your own time, at your own pace
- The support of a personal tutor at every stage of assessment
- 30 self-check exercises to help you learn and practise
- Receive a completion certificate from PQB, graded with a pass, merit or distinction. It’s the most widely recognised industry qualification!
- Career advice and recommendations for further training
- Welcome to Essential Proofreading
- Unit 0: Techniques and good practice
- Unit 1: Proofreading or proof-editing?
- Unit 2: Working on PDFs I
- Unit 3: Working on PDFs II
- Unit 4: Working for publishers
- Unit 5: The BSI symbols
For more information please see our Self-Study FAQs.
Enrol now by choosing your payment method at the top of the page. The price of this course has been held since December 2019.
Invoice request form
If you are from an organisation and need to request an invoice to pay on someone else’s behalf, please complete this form
with the Freelance Package
The PQB is responsible for the development, delivery and assessment of these self-study tutor-guided courses.