Drive up quality, increase productivity
Basic Proofreading: Editorial Skills One
The only in-depth training course that takes you from complete beginner to PTC / PQB-qualified proofreader in one step.
What is proofreading?
Proofreading is the process of checking written materials for errors before they are published. These materials may include books, magazines, blogs, websites, brochures, journals and official documents.
Basic Proofreading is designed to give you the skill, judgement and understanding of the publishing process that you will need to be a successful proofreader. The course includes extensive practice opportunities and exposure to a wide variety of materials and practical methods.
Five reasons to choose Basic Proofreading
- Learn to proofread in the way that clients want it done, on screen or on paper
- Cover the requirements of the wider business world as well as publishing
- Have the support of a personal tutor at every stage of assessment
- Learn and practise with 36 self-check exercises
- Benefit from the most widely recognised industry qualification
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- mark up on paper and on screen, and understand the differences between the two
- understand and use British Standards Institution symbols
- understand and mark up on screen in Adobe Reader and Microsoft Word
- make informed decisions when marking up proofs: what to change, what to leave
- follow the instructions of an editor, and give clear instructions to a typesetter
How does the course work?
There are six learning modules, five of which contain a number of self-check exercises and a longer assignment, which you will submit to your personal tutor for marking and commentary. Additional sections cover the finer points of on-screen mark-up, an explanation of the publishing process and where the proofreader fits in. As a conclusion, we offer career advice and recommendations for further training.
Course materials are accessed through the PTC's online learning platform, so you will need Adobe Reader (XI or DC) and Microsoft Word (2010 or later) in order to complete the coursework.
If you have already enrolled on this course and wish to access your course materials, please log in to the website and navigate to My Enrolled Courses.
Basic Proofreading costs £395. You can pay for the course in three instalments: the first instalment of £185 is payable on enrolment; the second and third instalments of £105 each will be automatically collected between the 10th and 15th of the following two months.
You can opt to receive a printed copy of the module chapters for £30, payable on enrolment. These may be useful for reference, but the printed modules do not include the exercises and assignments, which must be completed via the online learning platform.
Have a look through our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.