Diversity is not just a moral imperative for publishers, it also brings significant tangible business benefits such as improved profit, staff retention, and increased innovation. This course will introduce the case for diversity, help you understand your obligations, and also provide a practical toolkit to enable you to implement a successful diversity and inclusion strategy in your workplace.
Who will benefit from this course?
Anyone in a publishing organisation seeking to take action to improve diversity and inclusion. It may be particularly suited to managers with an interest in the topic, and HR professionals seeking to start or develop a diversity initiative.
Learn how to…
- Make the business and moral case for diversity inclusion
- Assess where your organization stands and areas for focus
- Use simple tools to help support your planning
- Work with colleagues to tackle bias and widen your talent base
This course contributes to PUB 2 of the Book & Journal Publishing National Occupational Standards.
An introduction to diversity and inclusion
- Why is D&I important for publishers?
- The range of diversity: gender, race, ethnicity, class, educational background, sexuality, cognitive diversity, etc – what do these all mean and how do you identify them?
- The financial and moral imperatives of building a diverse and inclusive organization
- Why now? The legal frameworks and the PA’s 10 point plan
- The risks to your organization of failing to act
Where to start
- Undertaking a basic diversity and inclusion audit
- Creating a D&I policy
- Understanding pay differentials and how to contextualize them
- Aligning D&I initiatives with organizational goals
- An introduction to unconscious bias
- Writing inclusive job adverts
- How to attract from a wider talent pool
- Understanding the outward face of your organization
- Why do people leave your organization?
- How can you create a more inclusive organization and retain a range of talent?
- An introduction to the key traits of an inclusive organization and how to create and sustain them
Building a diverse publishing list
- Understanding how bias may affect commissioning decisions
- Analyzing the diversity of your author base
- Attracting more diverse authors and contributors
Course DirectorTerms & Conditions
- 07 March 2018