Developed jointly with BOOK INDUSTRY COMMUNICATION (BIC)
More than ever before, book buyers are searching by themselves for the books they wish to buy (or in libraries, borrow) instead of simply picking books from shelves. They undertake this search and buy process at many different websites and search engines and in a variety of different ways, and their success in locating the right book, directly dictates how well the book sells.
So, publishers need to optimise the supply of product metadata, ensuring that it is accurate, up to date, and easily searchable, to maximise the chances of the end customer locating and buying the book. In effect, the publisher needs to treat this book information or product metadata as its online sales force, vital in delivering these sales.
A working group from leading publishing houses studied the significance of product metadata and requested the development of a training course to address this important area for publishers.
The workshop takes the approach of starting from the “outside” (i.e. what does the end consumer/retailer see) and then working back to the inside (i.e. publisher) view; working from what is successful in the market place and the metadata story behind it and by contrast looking at the metadata story behind something less successful.
Who will benefit from this course?
Anyone that is involved in creating and confirming information about publications including: Acquisition Editors, Commissioning Editors, Marketing, Publicity, Sales and Production.
This course is not aimed at members of a specialist data team and participants do not require any knowledge of ONIX. Full information about BIC ONIX courses can be found here.
Participants will come away knowing...
- How the product information which sells books comes from right across the publishing house and why every component is vital
- The main search strategies employed by customers and how to provide product metadata to maximise the chances of discovery
- How to avoid the most common metadata errors that "hide" books from searchers
- The importance of taking ownership and responsibility for high quality and complete product information
- Search and order
- Retailer and consumer
- What is product metadata?
- Publishers – source of all metadata?
- Systems and standards – briefly!
- Metadata changes
- Digital metadata
- What goes wrong?
- Improved processes
- Questions and conclusion
Course DirectorTerms & Conditions
- 07 February 2018
- 20 June 2018
- 24 October 2018
Developed jointly with BIC
the UK book industry supply chain organisation