A practical course for those who want to apply existing proofreading skills to challenging texts.
You'll learn strategies for decision-making, how to carry through changes consistently, and how to deal with authors and finish jobs to a high standard, without compromising budget or schedule.
These skills are transferable to all publishing contexts, print and digital.
Who will benefit from this course?
Editors, proofreaders and editorial project managers who have some proofreading experience and want to know how to get the most out of the proof stage of a project while still staying within budget and schedule.
Learn how to…
- plan a book-length proofread and carry it out thoroughly
- decide what to change and what to leave alone
- employ strategies for checking and cross-checking (as opposed to reading)
- deal with the author at the proof stage.
This course contributes to PUB 20 of the Book & Journal Publishing National Occupational Standards.
- Reading proofs set from electronic files
- The proofreader’s responsibilities
- Planning the proofread
- Balancing the needs of the material with the budget and schedule
- Typical errors and how to deal with them
- Corruption of text
- Missing material
- Typography and layout
- Position of figures and directionals
- Running heads
- Editing on proof and its knock-on effects
- Improving poor grammar and writing
- Post-hoc standardisation of editorial style
- Collating the author’s corrections
- The index
- Checking and cross-checking
- Design consistency
- Contents vs chapter openings vs running heads
- List of figures vs captions on the page
- Cross-reference pointers vs targets
- Author–date references vs bibliographical list
- Number sequences
- Capitalisation of headings
- Line-end hyphenation.
Our short courses are run at a variety of venues in Central London. Information and directions can be found on our Contact Us page. Please check your Joining Instructions for your specific course venue.
Note that most of our short courses can also be run as In-Company events.
- 14 November 2018
- 01 May 2019
- 13 November 2019
"An all-round great experience. Thank you!"
Christian Education delegate, 2017
"I really enjoyed the course and found it useful. It was a very engaging day and there was a great mixture of individual/group activities and discussions."
OUP delegate, 2017
"I thought Rosemary was a great tutor -- very welcoming, approachable and she kept to the schedule so we got to complete the programme. The programme itself had lots of variety, and the exercises were testing, which was a great learning tool."