Who is it for?
- Editorial staff, working in publishing houses, who want to build or refresh their skills, or learn from the beginning
- Freelance proofreaders who are interested in editing
- Those who copy-edit as part of their job and lack formal training
No specific qualifications are required, but you should have experience of proofreading principles and symbols, and ideally an understanding the publishing process. You will also need:
- An eye for detail and the ability to concentrate
- A good command of UK English grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Good general knowledge and an enquiring mind
What will you achieve?
The copy-editor’s role is to make the author’s message clear and accessible to readers and to mark up the manuscript for the typesetter. It’s a complex job, which requires an understanding of language and grammar, and of production processes, typography and design conventions. Copy-editing covers the structure, organisation and writing style of the text, as well as legal issues, such as copyright and libel.
On completing this course you’ll be able to:
- Use fundamental copy-editing skills to work on fiction and non-fiction, and on many styles of text and websites
- Use the particular aspects of copy-editing that are relevant mainly to books and journals, giving you the tools needed to work in either field
- Work on-screen and on paper
- Manage more complex non-fiction projects
- Deal efficiently with detailed tables, technical drawings, figures and endmatter
- Brief an illustrator and editor
- Cover the requirements of the wider business world as well as publishing
What are the key benefits?
- Convenient and flexible – study from home, in your own time, at your own pace
- The support of a personal tutor at every stage of assessment
- 36 self-check exercises to help you learn and practise
- Benefit from the most widely recognised industry qualification
- Career advice and recommendations for further training
- Entry into the PTC’s Freelance Finder, which can be used by publishers when looking for a qualified copy-editor who is trained to a high standard
- Points towards upgrading your membership of the Chartered Institute of Editors and Proofreaders (CIEP)
+ Enrol and claim your free e-learning module
Once you have enrolled, email your choice from the selection of e-Learning modules to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can choose two courses from the selection below:
Save up to £205 with the Freelance Package
Did you know that if you enrol on Essential Copy-Editing you will get two free e-learning modules (worth between £70 to £115) to help you support your training and develop your new career.
Good grammar is essential for a copy-editor. We strongly recommend you also work through Essential Grammar. This normally costs £70 but if booked at the same time as Essential Copy-Editing the price is reduced to £35.