A practical course for experienced editors who really want to hone their skills.
Complex exercises tackle a range of material that presents challenges in comprehension, structure and consistency.
Who will benefit from this course?
Experienced editors, or those who have already attended The Publishing Training Centre’s Introduction to Editorial Skills course and subsequently gained experience.
Learn how to…
- demonstrate a clear understanding of the issues that arise when working on multi-author reference works
- identify the existing skills and knowledge that you can use to tackle complex texts with confidence
- rewrite texts to avoid problems.
- Session 1
- Discussion: briefing
- Multi-author works
- Session 2
- Discussion: multi-author works
- Complexity 1: creating a table
- Complexity 2: linguistics
- Session 3
- Complexity 3: assigning structure
- Working on second editions
- What's the problem?
- Session 4
- Working with non-native English
- Rewriting workshop
- Final discussion/queries.
Our short courses are run at a variety of venues in Central London. Information and directions can be found on our Contact Us page. Please check your Joining Instructions for your specific course venue.
Note that most of our short courses can also be run as In-Company events.
- 15 September 2016
"I enjoyed the course, it was excellent. Margaret was very friendly, knowledgeable, entertaining and an excellent teacher."
Society for General Microbiology delegate
"It has proved a valuable reference. It was very useful and enjoyable."